Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Why Blog?

I was writing a belated introduction post for the corporate forums today. I wanted to give a sense of how I ended up applying, because I think that's a key factor in understanding what you can expect from me. I am here primarily to do something, in a certain way, with certain kinds of people. I think that's clearer when I explain the draw.

Who cares? I don't know, honestly. If someone is reading that introduction post, though, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they want to come away knowing a little bit more about their corpmate. Is he a happy-go-lucky guy that just loves flying spaceships around? Is he a dedicated scammer and awoxer who thrives on schadenfreude and just barely missed getting caught up in the Bonus Round bans? Is he a vet who chills on comms and jabber and only logs in to drop supers? It makes a big difference in how you'll play together, if at all.

In the course of writing the introduction, I found myself explaining that it was through writing down what I wanted to do and why that I found some clarity about that. I knew what I loved about flying frigates in low sec as a stone newbie who didn't know what "heat guns!" meant. (For several roams - I thought it was a metaphor for fire and keep firing.) I knew what I liked about grinding Catch. I knew what I really hated about the organizational dysfunction of HERO, the daily dramas and the inability to set and work towards a goal.  What I didn't really understand until I tried to articulate it was what those data points were a part of, what I was looking for in EVE.

So that's why I'm blogging. To keep engaged with myself, with what I am doing and why. I do hope to find a modest readership, to get on a few people's RSS feeds. I would like to know that I attracted a few people to the game by showing them a side of it that they might not have seen. If other, unforeseen things come from this, I'll try to make the best of them. But my underlying purpose is not to waste another six months being unhappy about what I'm doing with my free time in game, to be doing things that I'm glad to do.

1 comment:

  1. The hardest part about starting to play Eve, or anything esoteric or just complicated is knowing what the questions are in the first place.

    I've pulled brand new players in to null space and my goodness if they log in again they have my respect because of the sheer brain ache just to get the starting stuff organised so they're at least playing on a level field.

    Welcome to Karma.

    ReplyDelete